On 06/10/2008 02:51 PM, James Knott wrote:
> Jim Allan wrote:
>> James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> If you go back and reread my message, it said to request ODF files
>>> first and then .DOC as secondary.  The idea is to get people to stop
>>> thinking Microsoft formats are the only way to go.  Simply reject
>>> anything that comes as .DOCX with a note explaining what's required
>>> and perhaps links to the OpenOffice site & Sun ODF plugin.
>>
>> I quite agree. I have almost always returned documents to clients in a
>> format one or two versions back from the most recent format, and I’m
>> talking about Microsoft formats here.
>>
>> It is discourteous to assume that everyone must be using the most
>> recent formats of any product and most people will comply and also
>> send you documents a version or so back, if they realize that that
>> what they are doing is causing difficulty.
>>
>> New clients almost always ask what formats we like documents in.
>>

> According to what I read a while ago, some scientific journals are
> refusing articles that have been created with Office 2007, because the
> math editor is incompatible with the publishing software, even if saved
> in the old .DOC format.

I agree as well.

However, sometimes you just need to accomodate the customer & I think
that using M17 for the time being is a better way to go (in those
situations) for the following reasons:

1. The Sun ODF plugin screwed up my MSO 2000 on WinXPPro and I had to
uninstall it. Can't recall what the exact problem was now, but something
along the line of Word etc., wanting to reinstall every time I brought
up the Office apps.

2. M17 give the OP the opportunity to have a look at what OOo 3.0 will
look like come September. And given the fact the current dev versions do
not mess with the existing OOo installs (Mac verified by Larry Gusaas -
thanks Larry) and the OP can run them side-by-side, it's a slick way to
do the conversion. The OP can open the .docx in M17, save as a .doc and
then reopen in 2.4.x.

3. If the conversion doesn't work just right (and many won't), then OOo
has another beta tester that can file a bug report against 3.0. Having
additional beta testers is a good thing IMNSHO...