web at work wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Knott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [users] CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT MICROSOFT OFFICE?

Fred A. Miller wrote:
Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
Fred A. Miller wrote:
CAN YOU LIVE WITHOUT MICROSOFT OFFICE? -- The latest incarnation has met with a mixed reaction and more people are opting for Macs and Linux. The time is right to see if you can survive without Microsoft Office. A new generation of alternatives is cropping up from two directions: cloud computing and open
source software. Read on:

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/3357163/250558731/126072/0/

I've lived without MS Office since StarOffice 5.2

So did I, but it was the first version of SO for OS/2....what ever that version was. 'Course, my first was Perfect Writer and WordStar. ;)

Fred

My first word processor was PC-Write, at home and Wordstar 2000, at work. I had also used an editor on VAX/VMS prior to that.

At least someone has used PC-Write.
Did you have to write a printer file so it would be able to do the proper
style controls? I had to do that at Elmira College (Elmira NY) in the mid
1980's.  Plus WordStar and a few others.  I even wrote a better PDP/11
editor then the other college I worked at used. For those good old days.
laugh, laugh, laugh

At lease MS was not as big then.  We had PC Dos and other good stuff
that was not from big MS%$$%#

No, I didn't have to write anything, as there was a compatible printer supported.