On 15/07/2008 12:15, mervynjeffery wrote:
I have been using Openoffice for some months, but had a gap of about 6weeks
when I did not use it.  When I wanted to use it again I coukld not get it to
work,( i.e the recvipient could not open my attachment).  On advice of my
colleague who introduced me to the system, I deleted the prgramme from
mycontrol panel and reinstalled it but it still does not work.   I have now
rtemoved it again .  Should I try to reinstal from your website rather than the
instalation wizard? Please advise.  I do want to use it this week and at least
weekly thereafter.   My operating system is MS windows XP
Mervyn Jeffery
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I think you problem is that you are saving/sending your documents in OpenOffice native format (.odf) but your colleague is trying to open them with Microsoft Office which can't read that format. You have a number of possible solutions, in order of preference:
1. Get your colleague to install OpenOffice - it's free ...
2. Get your colleague to install Sun's ODF extension for MS Office. It's free from http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp and lets MS Office read OpenOffice documents. 3. Send your document in PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) format which you colleague should be able to read but not edit using Adobe's free reader software (www.adobe.com). Use File>Send>E-mail as PDF. (See note below) 4. Send your document in MS Office format. Use File>Send>E-mail as MS Word. (See note below)

Note. You can send your document directly as either PDF or Word using the method shown above. In that case *your* saved version of the document would be ODF (OpenOffice native format "Open Document Format"). Alternatively you can Export (for PDF) or Save As (for Word) the document in the non-native format and then send that. Makes sure when you Save As to a non-native format that you select the "automatic file name extension" box.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England