>  In desparation I downloaded tOpen Office 2.4 from the company website but
> when I tried to instal it from the wizard I got the message that i had the
> wrong os (presumably operating system.  Nowhere was IO askecd to enter the
> title of my operating system  which is wondows XP. I have now deleted both
> 2.3 and 2.4 from my control panel but still havw Ikons on my desktop display
> screen. I do not have the technical knowlwedge to get rid of the ikons. It
> seems that somewhere I have missed an instruction due to my lack of
> technicval kinowledge.  Any advice will be very welocome.   The recipient of
> my emails is a local goverment officer, and in the office  they seem to be
> able to open many things. When I first used Open Office they had no problem
> opening the attachments.  The person who introduced me to Open office
> suggested that an update from MS might have done something to my system.
> Mervyn Jeffery

By company website I assume you mean www.openoffice.org ...  If so, then the
correct version for your Operating System should have been downloaded...

If it is now just the icons that are bothering you, just delete them
(especially since you have uninstalled from the control panel already). If
however the icons relate to files that you may need in the future - then
only delete after you have re-checked this.

The actual format of the file that you sent the 'local office' would need to
be advised to try and sort out what went wrong with that.

Let the list know (users@openoffice.org) if you have any further queries....

/paul

--
For those in NZ that want cheaper petrol - have a look here
http://www.thecheappetrolproject.co.nz/index.php