At 17:29 16/07/2008 -0600, Floyd Beaver wrote:
I have a writer document that keeps my logins and passwords. One of my logins starts with a zero. When I type the number starting with a zero, the zero disappears as soon as I leave the field. How can I make OpenOffice 3 keep what I type? OOo3-Dev on Vista

I don't have version 3, but I'm puzzled by this. Do you really mean a Writer (text) document, not a Calc spreadsheet? If so, what exactly do you mean by a "field" in this context? (I suspect you cannot mean what Writer calls a field.) I cannot reproduce your problem (with 2.4.1) in ordinary text or in table cells, for example.

If you are actually using a spreadsheet, you simply need to tell Calc what your values are - and if they are login names, they will be text items, not numeric values. They may happen to be entirely numeric, but they are not numbers as such; if they were, you would welcome any leading zeroes being stripped. Select the relevant cells (or, better, perhaps the column) and go to Format | Cells... | Numbers. Under Category, scroll down to Text. Now try entering your values again (or editing them).

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker