2008/7/17 Brian Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> At 17:29 16/07/2008 -0600, Floyd Beaver wrote:
>
>> I have a writer document that keeps my logins and passwords.  One of my
>> logins starts with a zero.  When I type the number starting with a zero, the
>> zero disappears as soon as I leave the field. How can I make OpenOffice 3
>> keep what I type?  OOo3-Dev on Vista
>>

> I don't have version 3, but I'm puzzled by this.  Do you really mean a
> Writer (text) document, not a Calc spreadsheet?  If so, what exactly do you
> mean by a "field" in this context?  (I suspect you cannot mean what Writer
> calls a field.)  I cannot reproduce your problem (with 2.4.1) in ordinary
> text or in table cells, for example.
>
> If you are actually using a spreadsheet, you simply need to tell Calc what
> your values are - and if they are login names, they will be text items, not
> numeric values.  They may happen to be entirely numeric, but they are not
> numbers as such; if they were, you would welcome any leading zeroes being
> stripped.  Select the relevant cells (or, better, perhaps the column) and go
> to Format | Cells... | Numbers.  Under Category, scroll down to Text.  Now
> try entering your values again (or editing them).
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Hello,

The field in Writer is a field in a table.

I can confirm this behaviour in the beta-2 (actually the Mac Aqua version).
In a table in Writer, the 0 at the beginning of a number gets stripped,
unless you put a return after the number (?!)

In Calc, you can specify the cell format (or use a ' before the number), but
in Writer you don't have this option.

Unless filing a request to introduce cell formats in Writer tables, the only
solution I see is putting a return after the number... (the ' before the
number is visible).

(I hope Floyd is subscribed, lost the original mail)
--
Guy
using dutch OOo Aqua 3.0.0 Beta-2 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger