2008/9/3 H.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> M Henri Day wrote:
>
> > 1.4.7, has not been changed in the meantime. If you or any SCIM users in
> OOo
> > have any ideas as to what might be happening here, I should be grateful
> > hear them - in the event they work for me they would probably do so for
> Lisi
> > in Kubuntu as well....
> >
> > Henri
>

> hmm .. this problem is not going away, eh? Let us begin.
>
> 1. What is the output of the following command:
> $> dpkg -l *scim* | grep ^i

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ dpkg -l *scim* | grep ^i
ii  libscim-dev
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             development
library for SCIM platform
ii  libscim8c2a
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             library for SCIM
platform
ii  scim
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             smart common
input method platform
ii  scim-anthy
1.2.4-1ubuntu2                                             SCIM IMEngine
module for Anthy
ii  scim-bridge-agent
0.4.14-1ubuntu2                                            IME server of
scim-bridge communicate with S
ii  scim-bridge-client-gtk
0.4.14-1ubuntu2                                            IME server of
scim-bridge communicate with S
ii  scim-bridge-client-qt
0.4.14-1ubuntu2                                            IME server of
scim-bridge communicate with S
ii  scim-chewing
0.3.1-2ubuntu3                                             Chewing IM engine
module for SCIM
ii  scim-chinese
0.5.91-0ubuntu12                                           smart pinyin IM
engine for SCIM (transitiona
ii  scim-dev
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             development files
for SCIM platform
ii  scim-dev-doc
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             development
documentation for SCIM platform
ii  scim-gtk2-immodule
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             GTK+2 input
method module with SCIM as backe
ii  scim-hangul
0.3.1-1ubuntu2                                             Hangul Input
Method Engine for SCIM
ii  scim-modules-socket
1.4.7-3ubuntu8                                             socket modules
for SCIM platform
ii  scim-modules-table
0.5.7-2ubuntu1                                             generic tables IM
engine module for SCIM pla
ii  scim-pinyin
0.5.91-0ubuntu12                                           smart pinyin IM
engine for SCIM platform
ii  scim-prime
1.0.0-3                                                    SCIM IMEngine
module for PRIME
ii  scim-qtimm
0.9.4-2ubuntu3                                             SCIM context
plugin for qt-immodule
ii  scim-tables-additional
0.5.7-2ubuntu1                                             miscellaneous
input method data tables for S
ii  scim-tables-ja
0.5.7-2ubuntu1                                             Japanese input
method data tables for SCIM p
ii  scim-tables-ko
0.5.7-2ubuntu1                                             Korean input
method data tables for SCIM pla
ii  scim-tables-zh
0.5.7-2ubuntu1                                             Chinese input
method data tables for SCIM pl
ii  scim-uim
0.2.0-1build2                                              UIM IM engine
module for SCIM platform

2. And for this one:
> $> cat ~/.scim/global

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat ~/.scim/global
cat: /home/mhenriday/.scim/global: Filen eller katalogen finns inte [The
file or catalogue does not exist]

3. And for this too:
> $> cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim
#
# Use "X input Method" for all applications
#
# Per Ming's Documentation in SCIM, XIM Input Method is activated
# not only for old X-applications but also for GTK and QT appplication.
#
# If a user wish to use, GTK Input Method, (s)he can right-click input
# area and select "Input Methods" and change from "X input Method" to
# "SCIM Input Method".
#

XIM=SCIM
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim
XIM_ARGS="-d"
XIM_PROGRAM_SETS_ITSELF_AS_DAEMON=yes
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
DEPENDS="scim,scim-anthy|scim-canna|scim-chewing|scim-pinyin|scim-hangle|scim-prime|scim-skk|scim-tables-additional|scim-m17n|scim-uim|scim-tables-ja|scim-tables-ko|scim-tables-zh"

5. And finally for this:
> $> dpkg -l *openoffice* | grep ^i

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ dpkg -l *openoffice* | grep ^i
ii  openoffice.org
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
Office suite
ii  openoffice.org-base
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - database
ii  openoffice.org-base-core
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite -- libdba
ii  openoffice.org-calc
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - spreadsheet
ii  openoffice.org-common
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite architecture ind
ii  openoffice.org-core
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite architecture dep
ii  openoffice.org-dev
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
SDK -- development files
ii  openoffice.org-dev-doc
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
SDK -- documentation
ii  openoffice.org-draw
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - drawing
ii  openoffice.org-filter-binfilter
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Legacy filters
(e.g. StarOffice 5.2) for Ope
ii  openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Mobile Devices
Filters for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-da
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Danish help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-de
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           German help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-en-gb
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           English_british
help for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-fr
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           French help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-it
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Italian help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-ja
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Japanese help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-sv
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Swedish help for
OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-zh-cn
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
Chinese_simplified help for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-help-zh-tw
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
Chinese_traditional help for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-hyphenation
0.3                                                        Hyphenation
patterns for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
1:2.4.0~m240-1ubuntu1                                      German
hyphenation patterns for OpenOffice.o
ii  openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
2.3.1-2ubuntu1                                             US English
hyphenation patterns for OpenOffi
ii  openoffice.org-hyphenation-it
1:2.4.0~m240-1ubuntu1                                      Italian
hyphenation patterns for OpenOffice.
ii  openoffice.org-impress
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - presentation
ii  openoffice.org-java-common
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite Java support arc
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-common
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           common files for
OpenOffice.org language and
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-da
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Danish language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-de
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           German language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           English_british
language package for OpenOff
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-fr
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           French language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-it
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Italian language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-ja
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Japanese language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-nn
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Norwegian_nynorsk
language package for OpenO
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-sv
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Swedish language
package for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-zh-cn
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
Chinese_simplified language package for Open
ii  openoffice.org-l10n-zh-tw
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
Chinese_traditional language package for Ope
ii  openoffice.org-math
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - equation edito
ii  openoffice.org-officebean
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
Office Bean
ii  openoffice.org-style-human
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           Human symbol
style for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-thesaurus-de
20070408-3                                                 German Thesaurus
for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
1:2.4.0~m240-1ubuntu1                                      English Thesaurus
for OpenOffice.org
ii  openoffice.org-thesaurus-it
0+20050726-0ubuntu2                                        Italian Thesaurus
for OpenOffice.org 2
ii  openoffice.org-ure
1.4.0-18                                                   UNO Runtime
Environment Beta
ii  openoffice.org-writer
1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2                                           OpenOffice.org
office suite - word processor
ii  openoffice.org-writer2latex
0.5-6ubuntu0.1                                             Writer/Calc to
LaTeX/XHTML converter extensi
ii  openoffice.org3
3.0.0-18                                                   Brand module for
OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta
ii  openoffice.org3-base
3.0.0-18                                                   Base brand module
for OpenOffice.org 3.0 Bet
ii  openoffice.org3-calc
3.0.0-18                                                   Calc brand module
for OpenOffice.org 3.0 Bet
ii  openoffice.org3-draw
3.0.0-18                                                   Draw brand module
for OpenOffice.org 3.0 Bet
ii  openoffice.org3-en-us
3.0.0-18                                                   Brand language
module for OpenOffice.org 3.0
ii  openoffice.org3-impress
3.0.0-18                                                   Impress brand
module for OpenOffice.org 3.0
ii  openoffice.org3-math
3.0.0-18                                                   Math brand module
for OpenOffice.org 3.0 Bet
ii  openoffice.org3-writer
3.0.0-18                                                   Writer brand
module for OpenOffice.org 3.0 B

> 4. Do you actually see the keyboard input method that you are looking
> for as a choice when you click on the scim icon on your system tray?

Yes. I see input methods for Japanese which allow me four different
alternativess, for so-called simplified Chinese which allow me five
alternatives, for so-called traditional Chinese 17 alternatives, for Korean
four alternatives, for «Other» three alternatives, and for inputs using
Latin letters, one alternative.

> The responses to the above queries might give some indication what is
> going wrong where.
>
> Regards.

H.S. Thanks for your response ! As I mentioned above, SCIM was working in
OOo and Picasa a month or so ago, and still works very well in a Gnome text
editor or in Gmail. I've been considering uninstalling and then
re-installing Ubuntu Hardy to see if that would resolve the problem, but as
I have some 1939 packages installed, I'd really like to avoid that arduous
process if possible. Besides, another bird, an intrepid Ibex this time
'round, is due to be released in a couple of months....

Henri