Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
Robert Nelson wrote:
Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
A few more questions to Robert (sorry for top-posting)

1. Can you explain how you deal with chicken-and-egg problem? I mean, to run yum/rpm inside a VE you need to have those packages (and their deps) inside the VE. In "old" vzpkg, we use external rpm/yum (vzrpm and vzyum) to do that. Since you are not relying on that anymore, how do you perform an initial installation of rpm/yum/their dependencies in a newly created VE?

For creating the cache I use the standard yum/rpm on the HN. Once a CT is created the yum/rpm installed in it is used.
Hmm. Here comes a problem: try to create CentOS 4 (which uses rpm-4.3) template on a host system running CentOS 5 (rpm-4.4).

Not really sure how to deal with that in a less hackish manner.

That is part of my standard test matrix, works fine.

I test creation of templates and CT on both CentOS 5 HN and a Debian Etch HN for all of the following:

   CentOS 4, i386 and x86_64
   CentOS 5, i386 and x86_64
   Fedora 7, i386 and x86_64
   Fedora 8, i386 and x86_64
   Fedora 9, i386 and x86_64
   Debian Sarge, i386
   Debian Etch, i386 and amd64

As I said earlier, the only problem between rpm 4.3 and 4.4 is the _db.00? files and they are automatically created if missing the first time rpm is executed. Once the templates are created and before doing the tar I delete the files.