Re: "I like the decoupling that REST provides as it just takes a library that speaks HTTP. I don't have to link against a vendor-specific management library nor do I have to carry through their dependencies. "

What you say about REST is indeed true and is a good selling point, but it's worth bearing in mind that it's *also* true of the approach illustrated in the examples from Gordon - that approach is using the QMF *protocol* and in terms of dependencies it is simply using pure AMQP as a transport passing Map Messages in a request/response pattern to specific AMQP Destinations, that's arguably no more coupled nor vendor specific than say using the REST API, even the Java QMF stuff isn't really coupled as it's implemented as pure JMS. In actual fact it's the QMF aspects that are vendor specific - QMF is specific to the Qpid C++ broker.

I certainly don't want to dissuade the approach that you're taking, but you should probably be armed with all the facts - sure you're not dependent on a library, but as I say above nor are you really dependent on a library for some of the other approaches (though Gordon's examples are C++ using qpid::mess

I like the decoupling that REST provides as it just
takes a library that speaks HTTP.  I don't have to link against a
vendor-specific management library nor do I have to carry through their
dependencies.

aging) I've not tried raw QMF via Proton Messenger, it might well be possible though it currently seems to have quite a few limitations wrt. topic subscriptions (and other filter types).

As I say ultimately QMF is actually your biggest vendor specific dependency, so that's something that you should keep in the back of your mind going forward. I expect QMF to be around for quite some time, but there is certainly a desire to move towards the AMQP 1.0 Management Specification over time. As we move forward on that I'm sure that there will be a concerted effort to avoid breaking existing QMF things (I'm certainly intending to try my best to avoid that) and as I say it's likely to be some time before traction builds in that direction, but it's certainly something that you should be cognoscente of if you are building a mission critical system - put a comment in your code to track AMQP 1.0 Management developments on this list at the very least.

Hope that this stuff is useful,
Cheers,
Frase