On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 05:04:35PM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 04:43 PM 9/30/2004, Ben Rosengart wrote:
> >we are pretty unhappy about the skimpy upgrade documentation
>
> Hmm, true, but are you volunteering to help write better documentation?

I would be happy to summarize whatever I learn and post it to this
list.  If someone wishes to modify that summary and/or make it
available for download, they have my blessing.

> >and the number of apparently-gratuitous changes ("hits" becomes "score"?).
>
>  You'd not believe the number of  people who don't understand what SA
> means by "hits" when they first encounter it.

I work for an ISP.  Are you sure I wouldn't believe it?  :-)

I don't take much exception to that change, because it's very easy
to accommodate in a backwards- and forwards-compatible way.  That
is our main concern here at Panix.

That is, all software that currently matches on "hits" can be
changed to match on "(hits|score)", and will work before and after
the upgrade without any difficulty.

To the extent that user_prefs files and (most) command-line options
are similarly backwards- and forwards-compatible, this upgrade will
be painless for us.  To be more explicit, I would like to make
necessary changes *before* the upgrade to the extent that I can, in
such a way that the system will behave as expected both before and
after the upgrade.

What I'm trying to determine here is to what extent that's possible,
and conversely to what extent I will have to synchronize various
parts of the upgrade procedure.

--
Ben Rosengart                                            (212) 741-4400 x215

 Unix gives 0.35 t/ha extra yield.
 Can you afford to ignore the Unix difference?