Hello Loren,

>> To the extent that user_prefs files and (most) command-line options
>> are similarly backwards- and forwards-compatible, this upgrade will
>> be painless for us.  To be more explicit, I would like to make
>> necessary changes *before* the upgrade to the extent that I can, in
>> such a way that the system will behave as expected both before and
>> after the upgrade.
>>
>> What I'm trying to determine here is to what extent that's possible,
>> and conversely to what extent I will have to synchronize various
>> parts of the upgrade procedure.

LW> My impression is that *probably* you can put the 3.0 syntax into user_prefs
LW> files while running 2.6x, and things will probably still work.  You will get
LW> lint errors, but I don't *think* they will abort processing.  Likewise the
LW> 2.6x values will cause lint errors in 3.0.  But again, I *think* they will
LW> not abort processing.

Agreed.  I'm running 3.0 on my desktop, and my host's servers are running
2.63. I have 3.0 config lines in my user_prefs for my desktop use, and
they generate two warnings when my daily --lint runs on the server.
My 2.63 config lines generate 65 --lint warnings on my desktop. Neither
operation seems affected by these warnings.

Bob Menschel