On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Bob Mortimer spake:
> On Friday 19 Nov 2004 17:40, you wrote:
>
>> > when I try to sa-learn my ham/spam I get the following:
>> > /usr/bin/sa-learn: /usr/bin/perl5.8.3: bad interpreter: No such file
>> > or directory
>>
>> I've always thought that "No such file or directory" was one of the
>> clearest messages from a computer, but people ask all the time what it
>> means.
>
> Yes, I know what it means, but see below (I'm not sure exactly where the
> request for  /usr/bin/perl5.8.3 is coming form or how I fix it) ...

It's on the first line of the sa-learn script (which names the
interpreter, i.e., perl, to use to interpret the script).

> I'm still not sure where to go from here - I initially suspected that
> spamassassin was compiled against perl5.8.3 and was therefore looking for
> that ...

Correct. (Except that it isn't compiled --- only spamc is a compiled
program --- but that's a nit..)

>          which is why I recompiled it hoping that would fix things but it
> hasn't.

It certainly should have done. What does the top line of sa-learn read?

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see