>> On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 04:43:37PM -0800, Bob Amen wrote:
>> >    I must disagree. Unfortunately the number of responsible people on
>> > the other end of cable and DSL modems is vanishingly small compared to
>> > the number of zombie machines that are spewing spam and more viruses. On
>> > a typical day we get abut 340,000 delivery attempts. We block about
>> > 110,000 thanks to SORBS. That's per day. I have only gotten 4 or 5 false
>> > positives due to SORBS listings in the last 6 months. (Of 340,000
>> > incoming messages, we pass on 7,400 to our users.)
>> >
>> >    So would you have us accept 110,000 garbage messages per day for
>> > less than one a month that are responsible people running their own mail
>> > server on a cable or DSL modem? That would be a great cost to us in
>> > either processing power to analyze the messages with SA and/or lost
>> > productivity for all our users to wade through more junk.
>> >
>> >    I'm sorry but you must send mail through your ISP's mail server or
>> > be blocked by an increasing number of mail servers around the Internet.
>> > If your ISP doesn't support using their mail server with your domain,
>> > find another one. My home ISP does, which is one reason I chose them.
>> >
>> > --
>> >                            Bob Amen
>> >                        O'Reilly Media, Inc.
>> >                        http://www.ora.com/
>> >                      http://www.oreilly.com/
>>
>> Bob is right. If you want to send mail directly to mail servers without
>> having a static IP, switch to another ISP. Or use your ISP's mail
>> server.
>>
>> We don't want users to receive thousands of spam mails just in order to
>> allow 1 or 2 guys to send their mail directly from their machine,
>> without using their ISP's mail server...
>>
>> Nicolas, Paris.

Hi,

if I did not miss anything in this thread, the victim HAS a static IP on the
cable/dsl link and
pays more for the access than dynamic ip would cost with the same provider.
The provider, however, reports a full ip block (which may have a few percent of
static ip's) as dialup.
I believe the extra money they get on the fixed ip should allow them to
- either report correctly or
- create a mail relay where authenticated users can use their own domain name
as sender

Wolfgang Hamann