I had a similar problem with T-Mobile and Cingular/AT&T...my office is in a dead spot. Repeated complaints to T-Mobile didn't help. (Pity, since they're by far the least expensive.) Reception is nonexistant there for T-Mobile and hit-or-miss for AT&T. Step outside the building a few feet and either one works great, but Verizon has good reception everywhere *inside* the building.

Having a poor cell phone is even more frustrating than having none at all.

Disclaimer: I used to work for AT&T Wireless.

Now that I live in the SF Bay Area, I took the ghetto option: MetroPCS. $39.99/mo, unlimited airtime and long distance. The coverage area is greater than that of the old CellularOne SF coverage footprint, and the darn thing works *everywhere* I go. It also works in our colo facility, which is quite nice. GSM phones seem to stop working once you walk into a data center... ;)