jdow wrote:
With the advent of the charge for using 411 the usage went way down
allowing them to economise by dropping most of their 411 people. The
"O" process got inconvenient enough that they were able to drop the
number of "O" people.

I live in the Victor Valley area of California.

Verizon has a huge presence here.

They are the ILEC for this part of SoCAL and have major operations centers here including two retail stores (Verizon Plus landline/DSL/cellular and Verizon Wireless), a 411 call center, and a building that not only serves as one of their COs but also seems to be a regional tech support office.

If you dial 411 from a Verizon phone, a Verizon cell phone, or a phone line operated by a company that contracts with them for 411 service, chances are decent that you'll reach the call center about 15 minutes from my house and talk to one of my (roughly) 300,000 neighbors. :)

The pay sucks, and I understand there's a ton of turnaround. They are always advertising for new hires.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)