At 02:53 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
Note: I use Eudora.

Unfortunately, this is a design "feature" of Eudora.. It always extracts attachments, and has to, as it does not support leaving them in the message mailbox. This has lead to numerous security exploits against eudora in the past. Since the attachment extraction happens automatically when the message is downloaded, malicious encodings get decoded automatically...

Your best bet is in Eudora options, under attachments, enable the "delete attachments when emptying trash". This will make eudora clean up a messages attachments when you empty it out of your trash.. Not perfect, and you have to make sure to save attachments you want keep, but it's helpful and automated.

But it will only delete the attachment if I delete the message, correct? So if I keep a message, it keeps the attachment. Delete the message, attachment goes with it?

You might also consider enabling 'put text attachments in body of message'... but that's a bit problematic if you really want a text attachment to be saved separately..

I think that's a better idea for now. :)

Thanks..

Evan