I have new info. I changed the dns_available setting to test and I got this.
Failed to run DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 112.
)
Failed to run NO_DNS_FOR_FROM RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 141.
)
Failed to run __RFC_IGNORANT_ENVFROM RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 112.
)
Any ideas?
Tom

Thomas Bolioli wrote:
Ok. I created copies of the /etc/resolv.conf file in the user's home dirs and made sure the copies were owned by those users and no go. It is still not executing network tests for any user other than root. Can anybody confirm they are getting network tests performed on a 3.0.0 setup with procmail executing /usr/bin/spamassassin (not a spamc/spamd setup)? I know I have all the correct settings as other emails in this thread can show.
Tom

Thomas Bolioli wrote:
I had not upgraded from a 2.6x install with Spam Cop. It was a totally stock install and it is still 3.0.0. I have since discovered that when I run spamassassin as any user except root, the network tests do not work. When I run it as root, all the network tests work just fine. I have tried to run network based things as other users before and there does not appear to be any restrictions on network access for those users. I checked /etc/resolve.conf and it is read only to the world and is configured properly. Something may be wrong with Net::DNS::Resolver and it is not seeing the /etc/resolve.conf file when run as other users. This morning's chore is to create links to ~/.resolve.conf for a few users and get it owned by them and see what happens.
Will advise.
Tom