On 1 Jan 2018, at 3:54 (-0500), Rupert Gallagher wrote:

We reject anything whose mid does not include the fqdn or address literal of their sending server. We do this because the RFC says explicitly that the mid *MUST* have those features.

This is a blatant falsehood. Relevant RFCs:

The only "MUST" in regard to MID content in any of those is uniqueness. Use of a domain identifier is merely RECOMMENDED.

Beyond that, it is *IMPOSSIBLE* for a receiving system to reliably determine whether the right-hand part of a MID is a valid host or domain identifier for the generator of the MID.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole