How better to figure other than asking here?

Ummm.  Isn't that what this mailing list is about?

People helping others?

I guess I'm at the wrong place.

I'm not asking someone to do my work for me.

I'm asking for some advise from people who know more than me without
them getting sarcastic or insinuating that I'm lazy.

I'm pretty sure there are a number of people on this list who CAN answer
a simple question about turning off filtering and perhaps give some
cogent advise.

How would you suggest I "need to figure out basically how spamassassin
works?"

Go out and read books?  Hire someone?  Search the internet?  Google?

I thought I came to the place where people with more experience than
myself could offer up some sage advise without being sarcastic or
insinuating that I am lazy.

I don't need "experts" to lead me down a dark road and abandon me and
then tell me I'm lost.

So if you can't simply offer some honest, good, informative advise then
please buzz off.