On 01/24/2018 01:58 PM, Vincent Fox wrote:
I'd rather not think about the manhours I've wasted this year on SPF.

The guy at Evotec.com, among others, who thinks rejecting

for SOFTFAIL is a perfectly valid anti-spoofing strategy and

doesn't blink when pointed to RFC 4408 sec 2.5.5.

Vendors who's first response is:

"Our LEGIT spam....errr bulkmail is ending in your Junk.  Response

#1 in our binder is you MUST list us in your SPF record."

Dig, dig, dig maillogs.  All emails using Envelope From properly

so SPF is a waste of everyone's time.

The Internet is very slow to change. It takes a large force like Google to improve things slowly over time. They are doing good work in the TLS and browser encryption area. SA could be the large force that helps improve the mail standards like DMARC -- SPF + DKIM with a little extra on top.

Records we included to ours, where the vendor makes a typo in

THEIR SPF record on a Friday night.  Or decides to add 9 sub-includes.

Either way our record suddenly returning PERMERROR and we

have to get someone in, and boot vendor off the island on a Sunday.

I have a script that checks all of our customer's SPF records for syntax problems and too many DNS lookups based on pyspf just like http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html does so I can correct it or notify them immediately.

Endless hours explaining to campus clients, what SPF is and why

If SA all around the world says the same thing you are telling them then they will have to listen and fix their problem or remove their SPF record which is better than having an incorrect one.

it is not a good primary strategy to solve Junk mail issues

The only good thing I have to say about SPF, is it seems to

be a permanent employment program for people who are

otherwise useless.

--
David Jones