On 01/24/2018 04:00 PM, Vincent Fox wrote:
so there's this argument that goes:

"well we won't really see the benefits until it's FULLY and RIGIDLY implemented."

However, look at all the major providers with messed up records and neutral or soft fail.  They should have the most resources to accomplish  this and the most incentives to list all their netblocks and set to hard fail.

Google is soft fail.

Hotmail is soft fail.

(etc etc ad nauseum)

I rest my case.

There is nothing wrong with stopping a soft fail if that is what they want to do. In fact, most people should stop at soft fail unless they really know what they are doing or they are a major brand with a high risk spoofing.

People are blindly following Microsoft's DNS entries for Office 365 setup with "-all" when they don't know what they are doing. Microsoft should be telling people to do "~all" in their setup instructions. Then Microsoft should be checking their customer's SPF records for them and showing them when it's broken in the the Admin Center.

1. We need SPF_FAIL hits to mean something and they don't.

2. We can use subdomains with SPF_PASS to safelist trusted senders that are targets of spoofing.

After 14+ years we are still having this ridiculous argument about how in 14 MORE years when we finally fully implement this flawed technology, it'll do something useful.  Meanwhile i see it as being more risk than benefit.

With a big force like SA or Google, we could do this in a couple of years slowly and easily then start doing the same for DKIM.

Frankly I'd rather these manhours be used on having correct A & PTR records, which seems to be beyond the pale for some bulkmail vendors.

We could do the same thing for RDNS_NONE hits.  Good idea.

--
David Jones