On 2018-01-24 21:45, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> David Jones <djo...@ena.com> wrote:
>
>> SA could be the large force that helps improve the mail standards like
>> DMARC -- SPF + DKIM with a little extra on top.
>
> DMARC is not a standard according to RFC 7489, "Status of This Memo".
> It's just informational, for those who want to play the game. DMARC is
> destroying forwarding and mailing lists, and I'm sorry to see the
> elephants in the email room implementing it-- though Gmail still does
> not always reject based on DMARC reject, as if they use that plus some
> internal system to make the call.

DMARC is not destroying anything if forwarding and mailing lists are
configured properly (like this one). The whole point of DKIM/DMARC was
to authenticate forwarded e-mail, which is broken by design in SPF. If
we could make all mailing lists operators fix the DKIM breaking features
like title modification and adding footers we could just reject
literally everything that fails DKIM. Then the spoofing problem would be
fixed once and for all and SPF would be just a fail-safe in case
something went wrong.

Gmail implementing DMARC is probably the best anti phishing/spoofing
decision made in the last few years. I am sure you would agree if you
were administering paypal's or banks mail servers.

Karol

--
Karol Augustin
ka...@augustin.pl