I would like to thank everyone for your responses, they have been great.
This maillist has not failed to help me improve things everytime I use it.

So this particular server has virtual domains and virtual users in a folder hierarchy there under all owned by 'vmail' user.
I have done the following:
1)  Installed a SiteWideBayesSetup config _without_ the 0777 set which seems to work for all virtual users regardless of their virtual domain. 2)  Config'd mail folders to be created in the mail folder hierarchy under each user called .SpamLearn with a subfolder of .Learned. 3)  Setup a cron to run periodically under user 'vmail' perusing all .SpamLearn folders and running sa-learn using the 'vmail' user on those found subsequently moving them to the corresponding .Learned folders.

In this way, any user can move a mail to their .SpamLearn folder and it will get learned.
Have I had too many beers ? or not enough ?
The problem I immediately see is that I get one big bayes of everyone and a 'one for all, all for one' bayes config. I would like to configure SA to be able to deal with the virtual users individually somehow but don't know if it can (and requires source analysis).

In any event, it seems to be working pretty well and most all of the spam is apparently getting caught.
And no 'root' involvement...
Thanks to all respondents.