On Fri, 27 Apr 2018, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

On 26.04.18 13:41, L A Walsh wrote:
To my way of thinking, dropping someone else's email,
telling the sender the email is being rejected for having
spam-like characteristics and telling the recipient nothing
seems like it might have legal liability for the for the
user potentially missing vital email.

Refusing to take a mail is not dropping. Noone is required by any means to
accept anything because there may be many reasons a mail can't be accepted.

The place where dropping is a risk is if the next-to-last hop is Dain Bramaged and doesn't handle SMTP rejects properly.
But that isn't your server's fault, it's the poor service the sender's using.
(unfortunately the sender may not know of that bad link in their chain).

Also it's entirely possible that the NtLH server may strip off useful info from the SMTP reject message and leave the poor sender wondering what went wrong. (I'm looking at you MS Exchange).

#include <std_disclaimer.h>