On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 16:07:02 +0200
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:37:45 -0400 Alexander Lieflander wrote:
>> As a side-note, it seems like the error message returned by dpkg
>> (and thus SpamAssassin, I guess) is incorrect. Where it mentions
>> “sa-compile”, it should really be mentioning “sa-update”, as the
>> man page for sa-update contains the “--nogpg” option, and the man
>> page for sa-compile does not.

where did it say sa-compile?

On 25.10.18 15:16, RW wrote:
It failed when sa-compile was being installed

I see now - it was in the attachments.
The logs are quite clear for me:

Setting up spamassassin (3.4.1-8build1) ...
error: gpg required but not found! It is not recommended, but you can use "sa-update" with the --no-gpg to skip the verification. dpkg: error processing package spamassassin (--configure):
installed spamassassin package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 2

... spamassassin could not be set up, because of the GPG problem.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sa-compile:
sa-compile depends on spamassassin; however:
 Package spamassassin is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sa-compile (--configure):

... sa-compile could not be installed because spamassassin wasn't
configured.

On 25.10.18 14:37, RW wrote:
>This is a consequence of Ubuntu (or Debian) splitting off sa-compile
>into a separate  package. The error occurred  while checking
>sa-compile's dependency, the spamassassin package.

this should not happen at all. when sa-compile is installed,
spamassassin (and sa-update) should be installed and configured.

I would guess that there was no problem when spamassassin was installed
and sa-compile was installed later.

well, the problem was there already when spamassassin was installed,

Luckily the problem is solved now.
It was outside of debian/ubuntu scope - nobody should expect systems working
with external changes.
10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!