On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 12:38 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
> I agree with your logic.  But I don't know if I want to organically
> grow the list based on outgoing email recipients.  I think I'd rather
> use the contents of address books.  (Obviously something needs to get
> said address book data from MUAs to the server where it can use it.)

I think that fear is unfounded unless your user population has a fairly
high turnover. Mine is static: my database is a mail archive with just
myself as user, so has an absolutely stable user base. I use a view to
generate the address whitelist by selecting only the addresses that
I've sent mail to so, for instance this automatically deselects almost
all the addresses in mass mailing I've received. The current stats are:

messages archived:    189997
all addresses:         15936
whitelisted addresses: 10919

I don't normally keep stats on the whitelist sixe but I do watch the
other two and have noticed that the whole address list has stayed at
around 15,000 entries for several years, which is fairly amazing
considering the number of 'mass mailings' I get from friends and around
Xmas.

IOW, if you build a whitelist containing just the addresses your
outgoing mail is addressed to and periodically trim it to retain only
addresses that stuff has been sent to in the last 24 months years I
predict that your list size will stabilise despite user churn simply
because most people's address lists don't change much from year to
year. And, of course, mail concerning online purchases is 99% incoming,
so the addresses on it will never get into this type of whitelist.

Martin