On 6 Sep 2019, at 14:14, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

>> On 6 Sep 2019, at 01:57, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>>> well, if your clients (some old server installations) only support tls1.0,
>>> it's better to allow it than forgint it to go plaintext or reject the mail
>>> at all.
>
>>> On 06.09.19 00:57, @lbutlr wrote:
>> I don’t agree. It is thinking like this that leads to people still wanting
>> to use RC4-SHA or HTTP AUTH.
>
> the alternative on server-server connection is no encryption at all.

Which is still going to be the case for a still significant percentage of
connections. Used a deprecated end-of-life security shouldn’t be encouraged.

>>> http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Update-to-recommended-TLS-settings-td78583.html
>
> On 06.09.19 11:50, @lbutlr wrote:
>> That is four years ago and largely covers maintaining support for the 16
>> year-old Exchange 2003.
>
> did tou intentionally skip the link that was an update to this one and only
> one year old to blame me for the older one?

Of course not, the second one was a followup to the first one, which again was
largely about Exchange 2003, so I didn’t think it really added anything and it
was also still before the EOL for TLSv1.0.

>> The difference right now is that TLSv1.0 is end-of-life and has known flaws.
>>  It should no more be used than MD5 or RC2.
>>
>> However, I think here we were talking about TLS connections from sending
>> servers; there TLSv1.0 is already basically unused.  You are more likely to
>> not get an opportunistic encryption at all that TLSv1.
>
> I'd be happy to see any statistics about this. Possibly in postfix list, if
> you can…

Your logs will be different than mine, I am sure. When last I checked for
successfully submitted mails, unencrypted was more common that TLSv1.0, and
that was … spring?

>    51 version=TLSv1,
>     8 version=TLSv1.1,
>   539 version=TLSv1.2,
>    92 version=TLSv1.3,

Most of my TLSv1 were connections that were rejected for high degrees of
spammishness.

I do need to go through the logs again at some point and see how things are
shaping up. It would be interesting to see what the server-to-server encryption
looks like now for valid mail. I suspect that 1.1 has dropped to near 0 and 1.0
is more spam than it was, but that’s just a guess.

--
'We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few. Cosmic
speculation about whether the gods exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of