On 9/28/2019 12:35 AM, Bill Cole wrote:
On 28 Sep 2019, at 1:21, Jerry Malcolm wrote:

On 9/27/2019 11:49 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
On 28 Sep 2019, at 0:24, Jerry Malcolm wrote:

Understood.  I'm definitely stopping and starting the spamd service. (Although it's called the spamassassin service, it is definitely starting and stopping spamd.

I've done a ton of digging around.  I located:

/usr/lib/systemd/system/spamassassin.service that starts /usr/bin/spamd using options file /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin and writes the log to /var/log/maillog.

In the maillog it says it is loading options from /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/local.cf

I checked, and that file has required_score 4.0.  Yet the rest of the log file shows scores of x.x/5.0.

So I tried adding an option --cf=required_score 4.0 to the options file.  No change.

Then I tried adding it directly the spamd invocation in the service file.  No matter how many places I tell it I want 4.0. Something is still overriding it to 5.0.  Any other places you can think of that I can look?

What are the full command line options for spamd?

'ps aux |grep spamd' should tell you the ground truth.

With my extra parameter added....

 'ps aux |grep spamd' should tell you the ground truth.

What is ACTUALLY running matters. Not what you THINK is running

The process has an owner, which matters.

If spamd is running as a user with a user_prefs file, it will be loading that.

The process is running as root.  I looked in the cf directory. There's a user_prefs.template. But I don't see any other user_prefs files.