On 28 Sep 2019, at 0:24, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
Understood.  I'm definitely stopping and starting the spamd service. (Although it's called the spamassassin service, it is definitely starting and stopping spamd.

I've done a ton of digging around.  I located:

/usr/lib/systemd/system/spamassassin.service that starts /usr/bin/spamd using options file /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin and writes the log to /var/log/maillog.

In the maillog it says it is loading options from /var/lib/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/local.cf

I checked, and that file has required_score 4.0.  Yet the rest of the log file shows scores of x.x/5.0.

So I tried adding an option --cf=required_score 4.0 to the options file.  No change.

Then I tried adding it directly the spamd invocation in the service file.  No matter how many places I tell it I want 4.0. Something is still overriding it to 5.0.  Any other places you can think of that I can look?