On 1/30/2020 9:54 AM, RW wrote:

>> I use debian, and it uses GPG signatures.  so I understand that sha-1
>> issue even less...
> It was a matter of Apache policy as I understand it. There were no
> security implications at all.
>
> Even if it had been relied on for security, SHA1 would only be
> potentially vulnerable to an attack by an insider with a supercomputer.
> Anyone in a position to exploit it could simply generate a new hash
> file, so switching to SHA256 would still make no difference.

The policy is at
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums

I have not analyzed the risk or done a threat model on this issue but
sha-1 is cryptographically weak and banned by ASF policy.  There is a
ticket concerning asking for a variance but I am at best, neutral on
that idea.

Key to the issue is I fail to see how the highly intrusive security work
done for 3.4.3 can possibly be backported.

My recommendation remains a strong: upgrade to 3.4.4.

Regards,
KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail