PLEASE NOTE:

I read the mailing list obsessively and DO NOT NEED (or want) the extra copies sent when you send both to me and to the list.

On 6 Apr 2021, at 14:17, Steve Dondley wrote:

Can you provide a working example message AND the operative user prefs?

OK, I was being very stupid. It finally dawned on me that the SA scores that appeared above the message body and below the headers when spamc was run without the -R option were SA scores embedded in the message by the postfix software and were not getting generated by spamc.

But that doesn't change the fact that the spamassassin score that is generated by the postfix command is different than what I'm getting directly on the command line. Here's is what is in my postfix master.cf file:

spamassassin unix -     n       n       -       -       pipe
user=debian-spamd argv=/usr/bin/spamc -u ${user} -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}

Nitpick: Postfix is not adding the score report in the header, spamd is. That line hands off the message to spamc, which sends it to spamd and gets back a scored copy, which it then re-injects via sendmail (which is actually part of Postfix...)

spamassassin --prefs-file user_prefs_file -D all < some_email

Does the score and hits match one of your spamc tests?

No. The headers have a different score and the tests are different. It's scored only as 2.6 with BAYES_50 while what was embedded in the email by postfix had a BAYES_99 and BAYES_999 ans scored 5.2. postfix score also shows RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW while running from the command line does not show any such test hit.

And I cannot reproduce the SA scores embedded in the email by postfix even if I log in as user "s" and run this command:

spamassassin --prefs-file=/home/s/.spamassassin/user_prefs -t < some_email

So I'm not sure what's going on.

Since the scores being added during delivery are much richer, detecting enough info to do SPF and DKIM analysis, I am 99.9% certain that the format of 'some_email' is mangled, probably missing critical headers or using CR linebreaks instead of proper LFs.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire