On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 19:49 +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> I've still yet to see a list post explaining what this thing does
> so no he has not answered all questions about it, the most common sense
> thing of all time is if you advertise your wares, you at least tell
> people WTF it does, you don't send them to some web site to find out
> (which as some posters have indicated apparently does not even tell
> you).

Yes, that is the same problem I have.

I understand that CHAOS generates rules and has fancy ways of setting
their scores but I've yet to understand:

- why it was developed in the first place, i.e. what problem(s) does it
  solve that manually written rules fail to address?

- what are its design principles?

- what do its generated rules do that that can't be done with manually
  written rules?

- how, if at all, does it test the rules it writes and what does it do
  with rules that either don't work as intended or hit ham instead of
  spam?

- does it accept human input about what is spam and what is ham and if
  so, how is this input provided, maintained, and stored for future
  reference?

  IOW:
  - is it working entirely from messages found in the incoming mail
    stream?
  - what about the outbound mail stream?
  - does it use mail archives or spam collections to test the rules it
    generates

Martin