Hi All,

Recently we're seeing more spam passing our spamfilters using text obfuscating in the FROM header. The problem mainly targets users which are using mail clients like iPhone Mail which are only displaying the display name of the FROM header and not the actual email address which was used, bypassing DKIM measures. For example:

From: =?UTF-8?B?0KBvc3RubC5ubCDQoGFra2V0?= <a...@qbocel.com>

This is base64 encoded "Рostnl.nl Рakket" and pretends to come from Postnl, a dutch snailmail company. However the hexadecimal representation of this base64 decoded text differs from that of normal ASCII:

Obfuscated:

$ printf "Рostnl.nl Рakket" | od -A n -t x1
 d0 a0 6f 73 74 6e 6c 2e 6e 6c 20 d0 a0 61 6b 6b
 65 74

Plain ASCII:

$ printf "Postnl.nl Pakket" | od -A n -t x1
 50 6f 73 74 6e 6c 2e 6e 6c 20 50 61 6b 6b 65 74

There is no way to tell the difference with the naked eye. You can obfuscate text using this online tool: https://obfuscator.uo1.net/

Is there any way to detect this type of obfuscation with a spamassassin rule?

Best regards,
Frido Otten