Are you talking about the use of m'' as the regex delimiter?

Yes.

It will probably work just fine for the foreseeable future, as long as the input validation of rules files is lenient.

I think you may have a very hard time removing the m<char> matching delimiters from SA. I suspect there are at least hundreds of rules like that in the release database. I have about a hundred local rules of my own that use that.

Any time I have more than one backslash in a pattern, I use an alternate delimiter (usually single quote) so that I don't have to escape all the backslashes in the rule body. I'm not a fan of obfuscated rule bodies where it is impossible to tell what it is intended to match. My experience is that any time you have to write \\\\ or \\\\\\ multiple times in a rule body, you are almost guaranteed to get the number of backslahses wrong, and the rule won't work. But of course it may work in some cases (like the one you used to test it) while not working in general.

I don't have time in my life to deal with that sort of thing. It caused me enough grief when I started writing rules 20 years ago, which is why I started using m'.

BTW, that particular rule dates from RulesEmporium days, which was what, 2005 or so?

       Loren