"Grant Taylor via users" <users@spamassassin.apache.org> writes:

> On 11/15/22 1:16 PM, Marc wrote:
>> Hmmm, good point, not really thought about this even. Are email
>> clients complaining about this?
>
> Few email clients are testing DKIM.  Some servers are testing
> DKIM. Some systems are mis-treating DKIM failure as something more
> sever than the specification allows.

Can you expand on that?   A DKIM failure means that one can't establish
that the message came from the domain, and this leads to:

  decline to apply whitelist_from_dkim

  perhaps, if one has data that most things with that From: have valid
  dkim sigs, give it some spam points.

in spam filtering and

  if there is a DMARC policy, and it fails SPF also, file as spam or
  reject

Are you saying tht some MTAs outright reject on DKIM failure, in the
absence of DMARC?

I did just get a bounce message in reply to a message I sent here,
complaining that my message failed DKIM (maybe the list munged it) and
SPF (ok; the list is not in general authorized to send mail from my
domain) and therefore was being rejected (but I do not currently publish
a DMARC policy).

Not really this topic, but I think mailing lists really need to be set
up to not break DKIM.  The kids all want us to use forums anyway, and
DKIM-breaking and spam filtering issues, really doesn't help.

>> Currently I just want to 'warn' users that the message is possible
>> spam, they can decide to move such emails automatically to a spam
>> folder by enabling a sieve rule.
>
> I suspect any visible modification you make to the message will also
> likely break DKIM in the same way.

Agreed.  Really the MUA needs support for a spam-marking header, or to
file messages with such headers into a separate mailbox/folder/whatever.

>> What would be an alternative method to keep such functionality
>> without altering the subject?
>
> Adding headers is the most common thing that I see.  Then let the
> email client decide what action, if any, to take based on that
> header's contents.

<aol>me too</>