Sidney Markowitz <sid...@apache.org> writes:

> I know a number of you have been looking at the release candidates for
> the 4.0.0 release and have been helpful in finding issues with them.
>
> We have just announced a new release candidate 4 that looks very close
> to ready for the full 4.0.0 release.
>
> We could use as many people as possible who are in a position to try it out.
>
> Here is a link to the archived announcement we made on the developers
> mailing list, which has all the details on downloading, what's new,
> and upgrading from version 3.4.x.
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/j10xp2b9166ctqsydhjqo5y9h8dw7zdp

I am testing on NetBSD 9 amd64, likely a platform you don't have a
report for yet.

I have locally updated the mail/spamassasin entry in pkgsrc, which only
required minor defuzzing of our patches.  (They are almost all about
accomodating to our non-default prefix and handling of config files.
I'll try to sort through and make sure anything that isn't that gets
sent upstream for discussion.)

I've run it on a machine which doesn't really do mail, starting spamd,
and running spamassassin -t on a message.  That looks good; it gets
sensible scores include ARC_SIGNED and ARC_VALID.

I don't have a staging server, and could try it on my production server.
I therefore wonder:

  Do people think it's prudent to try this in production (for a small
  server for just personal mail, by someone who knows what they are
  doing)?

  If I run it, and I decide to flip back (because there are issues), is
  there anything to worry about?  I am using TxRep but I didn't see in
  the announcement that there was a database schema change.

  Have other put this in production and was it ok?  I am guessing yes
  and yes.