"Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@apache.org> writes:

> I have it in production.

Thanks - I just reinstalled, re-ran sa-update for base and KAM rules,
and so far it's looking good modulo a few nits:

UPGRADE says:

  - All rules, functions, command line options and modules that contain
    "whitelist" or "blacklist" have been renamed to contain more
    racially neutral "welcomelist" and "blocklist" terms. This allows
    acronyms like WL and BL to remain the same. Previous options will
    continue work at least until version 4.1.0 is released. If you have
    local settings including scores or meta rules referring to old rule
    names, these should be changed and "enable_compat
    welcomelist_blocklist" added in init.pre. See:
    https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WelcomelistBlocklist (Bug 7826)

1) I find  that URL gets me "page not found.

2) It feels like a bug not to have compat by default.  My memory is that
while 3.4.6 has compat-for-new, the output was such as to suggest that
the WELCOME syntax was non-standard, so I hadn't done query-replace yet.
For a From: that is "whitelist_from" (yes I know I know I need to tell
them to set up DKIM, and use whitelist_from_rcvd in the meantime), I
get:

  -0.0 USER_IN_WELCOMELIST    User is listed in 'welcomelist_from'
  -100 USER_IN_WHITELIST      DEPRECATED: See USER_IN_WELCOMELIST

Changing all entries to welcomelist_from gets me the same:

  -0.0 USER_IN_WELCOMELIST    User is listed in 'welcomelist_from'
  -100 USER_IN_WHITELIST      DEPRECATED: See USER_IN_WELCOMELIST

(I have run sa-update less than an hour ago; the mod time on my rules is
0959 EST.)

3) Maybe I'm misreading that there is no change in default and if you
want to use the new terms, you should turn on enable_compat
welcomelist_blocklist, but I never would have guessed that you need to
opt in to the new standard approach.  I would expect that the new way
would work with no noise and the old way, for now, would work with
something that feels like a warning.  And that some future release would
maybe fail to start if there are such warnings.

So it seems like 1) there is compat by default, which is good and 2)
somehow it is sort-of-old-compat, instead of omitting the whitelist line
since I hadn't configured it.  Maybe this is something on my end, but I
did merge to the new local.cf.  And as always maybe I am confused.

The good news is that I can find nothing else wrong.  I am not seeing
short-circuiting happening but that is no different than 3.4.6 so I
think that's my fault, not a 4.0.0 issues.