Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> writes:

> The wiki page in the release notes says:
>
>     In SpamAssassin version 4.0.0 all rules, functions, command line
>     options and modules that contain "whitelist" or "blacklist" have
>     been renamed to contain "welcomelist" and "blocklist" terms. This
>     allows acronyms like WL and BL to remain the same. Previous options
>     will continue work at least until version 4.1.0 is released. If you
>     have local settings including scores or meta rules referring to old
>     rule names, these should be changed and "enable_compat
>     welcomelist_blocklist" added in init.pre.
>
> I haven't enabled compat, but I did rename.  I would expect that with
> the transition to new keywords in 4.0.0, the normal approach is to edit
> one's config and be all set.  Or, one could leave the old words and have
> them treated as compatible, maybe with a warning.  Or possibly have to
> enable compatibility for the old ones.
>
> Am I really supposed to change the keywords to welcome/block *and* set
> "enable_compat"?  The man page Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf.3 doesn't say
> that, that I was able to find.

There's nothing like reading the code to answer questions.  So

  - The basic rule is USER_IN_WELCOMELIST, and the basic score for it is
    -100.  This is in 60_welcomelist.cf.

  - If "enable_compat welcomelist_blocklist" has been given, it stays
    that way.

  - Without that compat statement, a meta rule USER_IN_WHITELIST is
    created and given a score of -100, and the score for
    USER_IN_WELCOMELIST is set to -0.01.

I don't understand this approach at all:

  - I think it's important that if a user has "whitelist_from" in their
    config, that's still followed.  As far as I can tell that's in the
    config parser not the scoring, so that is separate.

  - The words are changed in this release, so if the user doesn't ask
    for anything special, their scoring output should have -100 for the
    WELCOMELIST, and shouldn't show WHITELIST.

  - If someone has meta rules that include USER_IN_WHITELIST, then there
    needs to be a compat rule with that name for that to work.  But that
    seems like a very unusual thing to do, as usually
    WELCOMELIST/WHITELIST rules have a score such that no further rules
    are needed.

  - Someone might reasonably want to turn on shortcircuiting for
    USER_IN_WELCOMELIST, and it seems awkward at best for that to
    fire on a -0.01 score and expect the -100 meta rule to kick in.
    This is the default behavior.

With considerable trepidation from not really understanding, I would
instead

  - have a

      enable_compat whitelist_blacklist

    that adds the meta rules (USER_IN_WHITELIST) with scores -0.01, and
    leaves the scores for USER_IN_WELCOMELIST alone, to accomodate
    people with meta rules that refer to this.

  - adjust the wiki documentation to say that both welcomlist_from
    (standard approach) and whitelist_from (deprecated, compatibility)
    are recognized in config files, and explain about the compat for
    meta rules in the first bullet point.