[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Cami wrote:
>

>>>running 2 spamd servers and want to share the BAYES DB between
>>>them... so that one never gets too swayed and that both the servers
>>>are contantly synced etc...
>>>
>>>anybody currently running an SQL backend off multiple Spamd servers??
>>>and if so care to part with some knowledge???
>>>

>>SpamAssassin already supports storing your bayes in MySQL.
>>
>>A work mate has done some patches for SpamAssassin which allows:
>>
>>  * defining a master (all INSERT|UPDATE to the database go here)
>>  * defining a slave  (all SELECTS go here)
>>

>What does the slave do if the master goes down?
>
>I'm running two SpamAssassin servers with enough traffic that file-based Bayes
>was becoming a bottleneck.  I installed MySQL on both and they each maintain
>their own independent database.

This is actually a good question, SA can run Bayes in read only mode,
but it's not really designed to run that way.  You need/want to be able
to update token atimes whenever you find that a token has been
"significant."  One of the primary reasons I've never spent a lot of
time on a master/slave type module for SA BayesSQL is that having the
Bayes DB unavailable doesn't hose the filtering process.  So you can
spend time to either manually fail over a master to the slave or just
fix whatever is wrong with the master.

Why not install a single MySQL sever and allow them to share the DB?
There is no reason why they have to be independent, that was the whole
purpose of being able to put the DB in SQL.

Michael