Thanks Gary!

Any advantages to installing from testing? Seems like backports would be just a bit safer.

Miles

Gary V wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just came across this thread in the archives, and I have the same basic question re. upgrading to a newer version of spamassassin on Debian stable.

But... unlike Raymond Wan, I'm accessing spamassassin with postfix and amavisd-new. The current install is already set up to run razor, pyzor, and dcc.

So... from previous messages, I've gathered that the basic upgrade approach is to do:
apt-get -t sarge-backports install spamassassin
(unless I want to get a bit more aggressive and install from cpan).

You should also be able to install from testing without upgrading libc6 and the kernel if you use the correct syntax:

simulate it first:
apt-get -s install spamassassin/testing
then remove -s to install

I like the sarge-backports idea best as this time.

Is there anything different I need to do or watch out for regarding being wired in through amavisd-new - particularly since amavisd manages some of the configuration for spamassassin?

If you install 3.1.4, you need to patch amavisd-new so it finds new rules downloaded via sa-update. No need to do this if you get 3.1.5

http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/p3.txt

What about the wiring/configuration for razor, pyzor, or dcc (new registration or anything)?

No changes. Other than after install make sure you edit v310.pre to enable needed plugins (the dcc plugin is disabled).

And.. if I go the cpan route, anything else to watch out for (e.g., does it install in different places that the .deb package)?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

I would advise against installing from CPAN or source unless you --purge remove spamassassin before you do. This of course would require you to completely reconfigure spamassassin (you could of course make copies of configuration files and move them out of /etc/spamassassin before you begin). Yes, it installs in different places. Mixing installation methods is a recipe for problem soup.

Gary V

Get the new Windows Live Messenger! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline