So I started running fetchmail as a cron job from each mail server.
This seems to work fine.
What puzzles me is that I never saw this suggested anywhere.
Am I missing some obvious alternative?

Nope, this is a moderately standard way to do this. Fetchmail->procmail->SA (spamc/spamd)->delivery stuff.

It has been discussed, but not a lot. Most perople on the list seem to be running Big Machines and would be on the feeding end of the pop3 link, so they don't have much use fo r this sort of solution. There are probably half a dozen perople (including myself) on the list that do this.

       Loren