On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, nws.charlie wrote:

>   I have noticed that 98% of the spam with pdf attachments is
> being sent from Thunderbird. I wrote a few rules and added them to
> my local.cf. Here is the main one that is working. I am catching
> most of the spam with this. Does anyone see anything negative
> about a rule like this?
>
> header        __LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD User-Agent =~ /\bthunderbird\b/i
> full          __LOCAL_HAS_PDF  /\b\S*\.pdf\b/i
> meta          LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD (__LOCAL_HEADER_THUNDERBIRD &&
> __LOCAL_HAS_PDF)
> score         LOCAL_PDF_VIA_THUNDERBIRD 6.0

A real person using Thunderbird cannot send you a pdf, or possibly
even talk about a .pdf file with you...

It has been observed that the user-agent header in these spams
consistently claims to be a specific version of thunderbird. I have
also noticed the same behavior in the past. You might want to add that
to your rule to make it a little more focused.

Also, having one "poison pill" rule is generally a bad idea. There are
subject line patterns in the PDF spams that are fairly consistent and
not similar to what most human correspondents would use.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Where We Want You To Go Today 07/05/07: Microsoft patents in-OS
  adware architecture incorporating spyware, profiling, competitor
  suppression and delivery confirmation (U.S. Patent #20070157227)
 6 days until The 38th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon