dalchri wrote:
I've recently put SpamAssassin in front of my Exchange server as an SMTP
proxy.  Our previous spam filter would provide a 554 rejection notice for
anything that was identified as spam.  This meant that any FP would be
notified so that email would not get silently ignored. Although a rejection notice was sent, we still retained the spam. This meant that when our users got a call from their customer about the rejected spam, they could quickly
locate the message without it having to be resent.

I would like to continue doing this with the new SA/Exchange setup. Right now I use spampd but I would like to change to Sendmail just because it is
part of the default install for Redhat.

How would you go about providing a 554 rejection notice? Would you do it on the SMTP proxy? On Exchange? Would you use Sendmail? Postfix? Something
else?

a milter from sendmail, provided you wish to stick with sendmail.

mimedefang springs to mind, but I have no experience with it.

Any idea for qmail?