John Rudd wrote:
Diego Pomatta wrote:

That sounds more like "bounce and return" than "reject". If you reject, the only chance you get to send an error is in the 1 line SMTP 5xx response code. If you really do mean "bounce and return" (accept the message with SMTP 2xx code, craft a new message in response, send it to the sender) ... that's bad, and shouldn't be used.

simscan correctly uses an SMTP REJECT (55x code during the smtp conversation) and it is also possible to use custom reject messages with simscan so the sender, if any, knows exactly why the message was rejected.

I have yet to see a good implementation of this in Postfix or Sendmail, and is one of the reasons I stick with Qmail.

Having to /dev/null spam and/or viruses to the end user is even worse IMHO (as an ISP, it might be acceptable in an office env where you can train the users to look at spam or virus folders).

Regards,

Rick