Rob Sterenborg wrote:
> Steve Ingraham wrote:
>
>> I cannot help but comment on this post.
>>

> Neither can I.
>

>> I am one of those ignorant people that is subscribed to this list
>> (along with several others) for the purpose of asking questions of
>> you experts out there because I do not fully understand how it is
>> working.  By all accounts everyone of you out there would label me
>> as a novice.  The truth of the matter is I am a novice.  As the
>> saying goes; "I know enough about this stuff to be dangerous".
>>

> Sorry, but this is the SpamAssassin list and the subject has nothing to
> do with "how it's working". If the OP had a question about "how it's
> working", he'd get an answer - I'm quite sure of that and I think you
> know that.
>
> This specific thread has become a rant because the OP did not show that
> he searched for himself first on how to do something simple: unsubscribe
> from this list. If he put the least effort in finding information on how
> to do that (how hard can it be to just go to the SA website and click
> "Lists" to find the info?), he wouldn't have sent the email that started
> all this.

A lot of people don't see the difference between [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (replace "owner" by "unsubscribe", "admin',
'request", ... depending on the list). They think these are the same
addresses. you can't blame them, really.

<nasty idea>
for someone to post, he must subscribe, then unsubscribe, then
resubscribe. only then can he post a message. Unfortunately, even this
won't work (besides annoying us with an N steps procedure) as people
will anyway forget...
</nasty>

I have already seen message saying "Please help me unsubscribe from your
group...blah blah", and this was a reply to to group message, which
signature contains the procedure to unsubscribe! (so if the guy just
read the message before hitting the send button...). In short, he quoted
a message that responds to his question.

but if people were to search for information effectively, they wouldn't
buy from spammers, and that alone would reduce spam!