David,

> I want to give users control of the required_score variable.
> I am using Postfix // SpamAssassin // amavis.
> spamassassin unix -     n       n       -       -       pipe
>        user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/spamc -f -e
>        /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}

If your concern is to have per-user SQL-based spam scores,
but want to keep SpamAssassin at the MTA level, and since you
are already using amavisd-new - why not let amavisd call SA
directly, and provide its SQL (or LDAP) lookups functionality.
This allows SpamAssassin to only be invoked once per message,
yet still offer individual per-recipient spam levels, individual
pass/block settings, ..., even for multi-recipient messages.

  Mark