mouss wrote:
Richard Frovarp wrote:

We do something like nolisting. You will lose legit mail no matter which trick you use. So it's best if you have a method of fixing that. Our first mx record is a real smtp server, it's just firewalled off to most of the world. It's used as a fast lane for our internal networks so they aren't slowed down by spam attacks. If we run into a legit server having issues (and there will be, don't let anyone else fool you into thinking there won't be), we can just open up the firewall to their SMTP and problem is solved.

I don't use anything like that. I just tried to post the pointer while avoiding getting into a "hot" debate. my opinion is that the MX retry strategy is not very clearly defined/implemented, so there is always a risk of losing mail. on the other hand, it is not hard for a bot owner to use N clients to get around whatever combination of MX games you play. I am not saying that fake MXes do not work today. I am just not sure they don't require some amount of work (contantly watch for possible FPs...). things like "I have not seen a single FP" are useless without justification (what methods are used to show that there are "no" FPs).

I completely agree with you. I have no idea what effect our solution is having on spam. I know that our internal mail isn't slowed down by large influxes of spam as they can't get to the server that processes internal mail, which was the goal of our system. I know for a fact we've rejected legit mail because of our solution. Since my solution allows for the opening of the "fake" MX to legit systems having issues, the problems are reduced, but certainly not eliminated. Our FP detection method is waiting for someone to call up and complain.