On Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 4:58:01 PM, Dave Koontz wrote:
> Jeff Chan wrote ... (11/11/2008 7:33 PM):
>> Hi Micah,
>> Thanks very much for the feedback.  Does anyone know how many
>> non-profits have more than 1,000 users (i.e., users with
>> mailboxes)?  The non-profit pricing is below ISPs and half that
>> of regular end users.
>>
> There are many non-profits out there that will hit your limits... I
> don't think anyone knows how many there are.  1,000 users is fairly
> trivial, and most non profits won't even be able to fill in your forms
> second "required" field of how many messages on "Average" they send a day.

To be clear, the field asks for an average number of inbound not
outbound messages.

> I can tell you that most all small 'private' not for profit schools and
> colleges will get hit hard by your new fees.  In fact, your new fees are
> more than we spend on our email server per year, and as a result will
> never happen.

That's useful feedback, but perhaps not a useful measurement.
Servers and reputation data are different things.  One is
hardware and the other is data service.

Without data, the server probably is not very effective at
filtering.  (Conversely without the hardware the data can't be
used, so one needs both.)  So I suppose the question is: "how
valuable are the data?", as opposed to "how valuable is the
hardware?"

> Given this change in SURBL in policy and pricing, I would strongly
> suggest removing their rules from the SA rule base.  Otherwise, you will
> likely get lots of complaints from users of systems that have embedded
> SA installs, or others who do not monitor this list.

By default, network tests are disabled in SA.  And any large
users should be using rsync.  Any small to medium sized users can
continue to use the DNS queries for free.

> I can see many
> Barracuda users not having a clue why they are now being blocked and
> their systems are processing messages slower as a result.

Barracuda would pay for the data as a mail filter vendor.  Their
customers would not pay directly.

> Sorry Jeff, but this is much too expensive for us and many others I suspect.

What pricing would you recommend?

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan