On 12/11/2008 at 1:15 PM Henrik K wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:33:50PM -0800, Jeff Chan wrote:
>>
>> Hi Micah,
>> Thanks very much for the feedback.  Does anyone know how many
>> non-profits have more than 1,000 users (i.e., users with
>> mailboxes)?  The non-profit pricing is below ISPs and half that
>> of regular end users.
>
>Sometimes the requirements make no sense. A server with 1 user can receive
>more spam than a server with 1000 users. Both may be non-profit and
receive
>no money from users. There is a huge difference also whether you use
>greylisting and other rules _before_ blacklist checks.
>
>So which is it, 250000 messages (queries) or 1000 users?
>
>1000 users and 10000 messages costs 500 USD.
>1000 users and 250000 messages costs 500 USD.
>
>Which affects DNS servers more?
>
>Of course people can pretty easily lie about numbers. Setting up rsync
>access does require some effort and resources. You could just write that
>either pay the minimum 500 USD or don't bother us.
>
>If a large ISP pays 2000 USD for 10000000 messages, I'm not going to pay
>500
>USD for 50000 non-profit messages (I am over the 1000 user limit and use
>aggressive filtering before rbls).
>
>I would be happy to pay a nominal fee for "rsync-access" though, since it
>does make things more secure and faster, also allows to use the data for
>other purposes. Before that's reality, I guess someone needs to come up
>with
>a better public distribution method than rsync. P2P?
>
>By the way, do DNS mirrors get paid anything? It's my non-educated
>impression that most big blacklists consist largely of donated DNS servers
>from big ISPs etc. Respect to those that dare to face DoSes. :)

Read the entire sentence.

"Please note that free public DNS queries for organizations smaller
than 1,000 users or processing fewer than 250,000 messages per
day is unchanged.  "

So you could have 1,000,000 users but less than 250,000 messages per day,
or get 3 gazillion messages per day but for less than 1000 users.

The key word is "or".

If you satisfy either requirement ( <1,000 users OR <250,000 mails) then
you still get free access.

Or am I the one reading it wrong?

Peter