> I don't understand what users have to do in this context. It's the queries
> that affect DNS servers.

It's obviously true that the number of queries is the cause for
introducing any limitation/pricing scheme. But it's pretty hard for a
receiving site to actually know how many DNS queries they're doing towards
a particular nameserver or a particular zone (it would require extensive
logging and log-parsing).

Number of users or number of messages is a good approximation of the
number of actual DNS queries, and sufficiently simple to determine.

At dnswl.org, we consider any source (being losely defined as a /24 doing
more than 100'000 queries / 24 hours as a "large" user, and ask them to
switch to rsync access (however this is not strongly enforced at present,
and does not involve money).

-- Matthias